I took it out of the oven, let it cool for about 10 minutes and dusted it with some powdered sugar. I cut out a small slice and like a civilized person, served it to myself on a pretty little dessert plate. Less than ten seconds after consuming that slice I was hovering over the pie plate and shoveling huge monster bites into my mouth. And now there is only half a pie left. Oh crap.
Pear Custard Pie
- 3 Comice or Bartlett pears, peeled, halved, cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter a 9-inch pie dish. Peel, halve, and core 3 Comice or Bartlett pears; slice 1/4 inch thick lengthwise. Arrange slices, overlapping slightly, in dish.
- In a blender, process 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, 1/3 cup each granulated sugar and all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup milk, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
- Pour batter over pears; bake until golden and firm to touch, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners' sugar.