This was delicious!! I've made it twice and the second time I ate the whole batch for lunch. I've been craving a big bowl of fresh . . . whatever and this really hit the spot. I used fresh corn since it's available right now. One ear of corn cut from the cob and cooked in my cast iron pot with some butter and olive oil.
Black Bean Saladadapted from Simply Recipes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained (or 1 1/2 cup of freshly cooked black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make sure to rinse and drain the beans, if you are using canned beans.
In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes and lime juice.) Chill before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.