Monday, March 31, 2008

My Grandma's Berry Up-side Down Cake with Cream



My Grandma is a fabulous cook and this is a recipe she's been making for her family for a long time. I remember having it as a kid and LOVING it. My Aunt JoAnn taught me a very important lesson years ago: if you're at a grocery store and they have Oregon brand canned boysenberries, buy them. Buy them out and then send a few cans to me. I cannot find them anywhere. Except Amazon.com and I don't need 20 cans.


I was however able to locate some Oregon brand blackberries. And those tasted fabulous. I have been craving this dessert ever since I asked my grandmother to send this recipe for the cookbook I made for my little sister's wedding present (more on that later) and last night I finally got a chance to make it. It was a rough night for me last night. Having accidentally stabbed myself in the eye with a fork, I was in need of some serious comfort food.


Here's the recipe for my grandma Carole's Berry Up-side down cake:


1 cup flour

2 teaspoons Baking Powder

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ cup softened butter

½ cup milk

1 cup sugar (divide in half, use ½ cup in the batter, and ½ cup over the berries)

1 can of blueberries or boysenberries

Mix this together until smooth and put in greased 8" by 9" Pyrex dish.

Pour 1 can of blueberries, or boysenberries (including juice) over cake batter and sprinkle the other half cup of sugar over the top and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm putting whipped cream or ice cream on top. This is a quick, tasty dessert. Enjoy!


- I served mine (to myself) with fresh whipped cream as soon as it came out of the oven. The cream melted of course, which is just how I like it. Even kind of soupy. Delicious!



5 comments:

Jill said...

That looks soooooo good, and the pictures of your girls are too cute.

Chrissy said...

You probably don't remember me, but I was a big fan of your mom's. After seeing your blog I am a big fan of yours! My only suggestion is that you should have bought some stock in Cuisinart because I know I now have to have the ice cream maker! Chrissy (Stevenson) Lockhart (Kristen Curtis told me about your blog)

Katherine said...

of course I remember you, Chrissy. I am a big fan of YOUR Mom's! It was fun to see them at Julia's reception. I told Kristen I wanted to see your blog. I clicked on your name and it said your profile wasn't available. Will you post your blog here so I can check it out? Thanks so much for looking at my blog!!

Chrissy said...

It's http://thelockhart5.blogspot.com/ There is also a link to my parents blog on mine. You have a darling family!

Erin said...

ooooooh, that looks delish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails