Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mushroom Hunting



A friend of ours in the ward lives out in the country and invited us and the Haas family to come out to her land to go "mushroom-hunting." They have several mushroom patches on their land that grow plenty of morel mushrooms each year and they were kind enough to share them with us! I'm not going to lie, it's one of the weirder things I've done since moving to the Midwest, but it was an absolute blast. After we were done picking them, we cleaned them, split them up and sauteed half in butter and the other half we breaded and fried in butter. They were so good. Even Bobby liked them and he is a natural born mushroom-hater. (Gets it from his Mom.)






10 comments:

Tisha said...

Okay Katherine, I am laughing SO hard! For weeks Dave has been telling me he wants to take the kids mushroom hunting and I thought it was just something dumb he just made up to annoy me. I guess it is a real activity here in the mid-west, who knew???

TerriLyn said...

Cool! What a fun, unique thing to do.

Sarah said...

I'm not going to lie, those look too appetizing. That looks more like some form of rodent or mollusk or something. It sounds like fun, though!

D-dawg said...

I am ALWAYS amazed by your cooking skills. Also I love that picture of you guys with the girls on your shoulders... you have the cutest family.

Sara said...

I love morels, I am so jealous that you got to go mushroom hunting! Morels cost at least $30 per pound here.

Betsy said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun! I love doing different stuff like that...and a great picture of the 4 of you...what a beautiful family you guys are :)

Jenny said...

That sounds like it was fun. I have to agree with Sarah on the rodent comment though.

Heidi said...

YUCK! im not sure I would touch those sponges... JK! Im sure you made them very tasty!

Danette said...

When I worked at Ray Miller, we had a guy who would mushroom hunt and then bring them to school and sell them. He made bank. Who knew!

Erin said...

What a fun unique thing to do! I love doing different things - and this mushroom adventure sounds awesome. I don't think I've ever had morel mushrooms before.

Related Posts with Thumbnails