Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting


So I made this really crappy cake. It looked so promising, too. The funny thing is, I was trying to prove something with this cake. I was trying to prove to Bobby that a cake made from scratch is better than a cake mix. Instead I proved his point. Although I still don't actually believe that. But this was a major flop. The frosting, however, was culinary magnificence. It was so good. It was like whoever wrote this recipe said, "Let's take a chocolate truffle and spread it all over the outside of a cake." It was amazing. So I'll tell you what I'll do next time: I'll buy the store bought dark chocolate fudge cake mix and I'll put this on top. It will be decadent and impressive, but also a snap to make!

Dark Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Ingredients
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups heavy cream, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to a boil. Remove from heat; add 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped, and let stand, without stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk just until combined. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until spreadable, about 1 hour.

2 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

how about I skip the cake and go straight for the frosting... yum!

The last Unicorn said...

OK... made this ganache today and took your advice by using a cake mix for the cake. It was a total hit! Everyone loved the cake and the frosting it what made it so decadent. Thank you so much for your culinary pursuits. Love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails