Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fourth of July Weekend 2010

July 3, 2010

We had so much fun with the pie and cupcake contests last year that we decided to go for it again. This year we did little tiny cherry pies. I found the idea online. We bought little tin cupcake wrappers so that they would look like pie tins. We used a white cake mix, and then the girls and I spooned a little cherry pie filling on top. The lattice crust is just fondant with a little brown food coloring mixed in. I used my "crinkle cutter" from the Pampered Chef to get the fluted edges. I mixed a couple of recipes together to make this caramel apple pie. I don't even have the recipe for it because I never wrote it down! I also didn't even taste it because I had to give one pie for judging and one for the auction. I copied the idea for the crust from the July cover of Martha Stewart Living.




The girls took first place again! I was actually surprised. I was more impressed with some of the other entries. But the girls were very excited, and we had a great time.

It was fun to have their picture in the paper with the girls' friends Corinne and Rae. My pie didn't place. Maybe another reason I didn't bother to write down the recipe. Maybe it wasn't very good!


That night we heard fireworks outside and we got to watch a very impressive display at our neighbor's from our very own deck.

July 4, 2010

On the 4th, Franny and Sophie and I got up and headed to the Farmer's market to get some fresh corn and check out the car show. It wasn't as fun without Bobby, but he and baby Claire decided to stay home and sleep in.

Later we hit the parade
and scored a ton of free candy and we got to see some friends.




Then we went home for hot dogs, watermelon, and corn and then we watched the city fireworks from the church parking lot. It was a great fourth of July!

2 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

I am not surprised they took first place... you have taught them well :)

Julia Holmes said...

Those little cherrie pies are so cute! Way to go Franny and Sophie!!!! They look so cute in that picture in the paper.

Related Posts with Thumbnails