Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cleaning house

Bobby and I have yet to have our own garage sale, but last year we participated in one for the first time and we got rid of all of our VHS movies, some clothes, and a lot of children's books that we didn't need. This Saturday we are participating in our neighbor's garage sale and I am parting with some old treasures, and although they haven't had any use in at least five years, I am still finding it a little difficult to let them go, so I thought what better place to preserve their memory than on my beloved blog.

First, our rollerskates. Bobby and I roller-skated together every Monday night when we first met. At Ricks, Monday night was skating night and it was free for us because we had our own roller skates that we carried in vintage bowling bags. (It was a whopping $1 if you had to rent skates.) We were both pretty good at it- especially Bobby. He could do jumps, skate backwards...

From left to right: Bobby and I in our skates; Bobby's sister Molly, me, and our wonderful friend Janelle; and Janelle and our old friend Trevor on the floor.

When we were done rollerskating at about 11:00 pm, we would head to everyone's favorite Rexburg spot in those days- the famous Craig-O's for chees-y-gooey-oh-so-delicious breadsticks, pizza bombs, and Oreo shakes. (When I think of Craig-O's, I always think of Bobby ordering his food. "Can I get a pizza bomb with pepperoni and an Oreo shake, and can you not charge me for the shake?" I was shocked at his boldness and then even more shocked when they would just give it to him! I also think of the time I stole a half-eaten pizza that I thought had been abandoned, and suffering from excruciating and painful embarassment immediately after when it's owner called out in surprise, "Hey, that's my pizza!" But most of you have heard that story. Someday I'm going to write an entire blog entry about my top 10 most embarrassing moments. I have some good ones and luckily, I don't have a problem laughing at my own foibles.)

So all of these wonderful memories are tied up in these roller-skates. I'm sorry to see them go but can't justify keeping them anymore. Thanks for all the good times, roller-skates!

And then of course there is the backpack I picked up in Poland. I did study-abroad in 1999, and when I got there I saw a lot of people wearing these cool backpacks. I knew there were on their way to the US, so I started keeping an eye out for them so I could come back looking super chic with my new stylish backpack! You know, I never saw one when I got back, but I wore it for a couple years anyway. America just wasn't ready. Goodbye backpack.


Last but not least, goodbye old school NES. Thanks for all the great hours of Dr. Mario, Paperboy, and T&C Surf, as well as Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 (Super Mario Bros. 2, you were just okay.) Zelda, you haven't seen the last of me. I promise you this: someday I will defeat you!


10 comments:

Chrissy said...

Katherine-
This is the funniest post I have ever read!! I was laughing out loud-hilarious!

The Laytons said...

You are a Riot :)

D-dawg said...

That was the funniest. Good memories of Rexburg roller skating. I loved skating around that tiny circle. And craigo's... delicious. But you stole someone's pizza? I had never heard that story but that is very funny. As for nintendo... I was never very good but tried ALOT. I hope you make lots of money on your stuff!

Erin said...

Ooooohhhh, I am almost sad to see the rollerskates go, too. I don't know, maybe you should keep them....

Anne said...

I love your post, I was laughing out loud also!

Katherine said...

That's because you and your brother were my NES buddies, Anne! Remember all that time we spent trying to figure out all the secrets and tricks in Zelda? I refuse to let all that time we spent be for nought. This isn't over, Zelda!

Jill said...

I love the tiny backpack :)

janellelee said...

its an end of an era! you got rid of the skates and your backpack? and NES? WHAT?? i just got hooked on all the mario games last year again. bobby is an amazing dr. mario player.

Katherine said...

I couldn't go through with it. Sorry to all those who were interested when we first put the Nintendo out. It's just not time. More to come on my quest to defeat Zelda.

Jodie B. said...

Don't worry- Tommy will help you defeat Zelda- I promise!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails