Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Embarrassing Moment #10- The Creme Brulee Story

The first year Bobby and I were married we had a Christmas party and invited our good friends Mary and Jason and Joe and Suzy. We were all experimenting with different recipes and we put together a fancy holiday menu. Mary made an impressive apple-filled pork roast, Suzy brought some delicious side dishes, and I was in charge of dessert. I could not decide on one dessert, so I ended up preparing two, which saved me in the end since one of these desserts ended up making it into the hall of fame of my embarassing moments.

I found this recipe on epicurious for Black and White Creme Brulee. It was chocolate custard on the bottom half of the ramekin and vanilla custard on top. The recipe called for bittersweet chocolate. I was pretty new to cooking at this point and when I couldn't find bittersweet chocolate on the grocery store shelves, I figured unsweetened chocolate was the same as bittersweet and bought that.

So we have a lovely dinner- everything tasted fabulous- and then after we played games, I served dessert. I thought it would be fun for everyone to use the kitchen torch and "brulee" their own "creme." So Suzy and Joe start eating theirs first and all of the sudden I can hear them giggling and well, uh, gagging a little bit. Well that can't be good, I thought to myself, so I hurried over and grabbed one of the desserts to find out for myself what was going on with my creme brulee and tasted the vanilla layer on top: creamy, sweet, and delicious! Then I go for the bottom layer: uh-oh, this tastes like poop! I'm serious, too. It was disgusting; the flavor paired with the custardy consistency was just too much and all the creme brulee went right into the kitchen sink. Luckily I had prepared an extra dessert. The Sachertorte mit Schlagobers (with whipped cream) saved the day!

Before I realized my mistake, I logged on and wrote a review of the recipe, which is maybe even more embarrassing. Click here. I'm the cook from Provo.

7 comments:

Pattie said...

I was so worried i thought you had run out of embarrassing moments..i was going thru withdrawls..j/k you are such a hoot. thanks for sharing with us..ps your in my post.

Chrissie said...

Even experts make a few mistakes in the beginning! Thanks for bringing back the embarrassing moment section of the blog! It is my favorite.

Chrissie said...

PS - I am hosting the Broadbents for Thanksgiving this year and I would love some recipes/advice. I'll call you soon, but I was thinking maybe you could do a holiday recipe section soon on your blog so I can be a copy cat!

Anne said...

Very funny and I love the review!

jayne said...

Love it! I especially love that you wrote a review before you realized it was you that had made the mistake, not the recipe. Classic.

The Posse said...

lol that's great. Love the review and I'm really glad you haven't run out of embarrassing moments to regale us with.

Erin said...

That's pretty funny. :) So, have you ever made it since and tasted what it is supposed to taste like? I might have to try it sometime - it sounds delicious... or I mean, it sounds like it's supposed to be delicious!:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails