Chicken Pot PieI've posted this recipe before, but I decided to post it again since I make so many changes to the original. This is adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe found on her site and it's one of my favorite dishes ever.
Ingredientsmakes 2 pies
- 3 or 4 chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in half
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 1 rib celery, cut into thirds
- 2 cup plus 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 sticks plus 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 lb. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium leek, white and light-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and washed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, quartered if large (these get left out for Bobby's sake in my pie)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Combine chicken, chicken stock, yellow onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, 3 thyme sprigs, and celery in a stockpot, and add enough water just to cover the chicken. Bring stock to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Pick enough thyme leaves to make 3 tablespoons. Combine 2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoon thyme leaves in the bowl of a food processor, and set remaining 2 tablespoons thyme aside. Add 2 1/2 sticks chilled butter cut into small pieces, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. While the food processor is running, add 6 tablespoons ice water and 2 egg yolks, and process until the dough holds together. Divide dough in half and flatten into two discs. Wrap well in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Drain chicken, and reserve the stock. Shred the chicken into bite-size strips, and set aside. Strain the stock, and set aside 2 cups. Reserve the remaining stock for another use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the remaining 7 tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add red potatoes, cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add leeks, carrots, and mushrooms, and cook 4 to 5 minutes more. Add the remaining 5 tablespoons flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in reserved chicken stock and milk, and bring to a simmer. Cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reserved chicken pieces, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons thyme, lemon zest, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and the ground pepper; transfer to two pie dishes. Set aside.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick, and transfer to a baking sheet. Allow to chill 15 minutes. Make an egg wash: In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining yolk and heavy cream. Working quickly, place the dough over the top of the chicken mixture, and tuck extra dough around the edges. Cut slits on top to allow steam to escape. Brush with the egg wash, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until crust is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve hot. Freeze one pie before baking for later if you like. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil and use within a month.