Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Mom's chicken enchiladas

It worked out nicely that while I'm featuring my Mom's recipes on my blog my sister happened to be in town. I asked her which of mom's recipes she wanted me to make and this was one of the first she suggested: Mom's green chile enchiladas. I think most households prepare some variety of this delicious dish, but there are a few ingredients that I wouldn't think of leaving out, so I thought it would be fun to post my mom's recipe (with just a few of my own personal tweaks. :)

Start with 3 or 4 thawed seasoned chicken breasts (I like to season them with Tony Cacherie's cajun seasoning) and simmer in a large pot of water until just cooked through. Shred with two forks and allow to cool a bit. Shred 1/2 pound of pepper-jack cheese. This is important, not just Monterey Jack and definitely not cheddar, but
pepper-jack cheese. I wouldn't think of making these without the right kind of cheese. Scoop some sour cream (about 3/4 cup?) into the chicken with a small handful of shredded cheese and about a 1/2 cup of green chile enchilada sauce. Add 1/2 can of diced green chiles, some cumin (1/2 tsp?), some chopped fresh cilantro, and salt and pepper. Roll the chicken mixture into flour tortillas and place in a greased casserole dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the rolled enchiladas and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Add the rest of the shredded cheese on top for the last 5 minutes.

My sister enjoyed the enchiladas. My doesn't add cumin or cilantro when she makes hers and I thought it was funny when Annie asked, "what's this green stuff?"

Me: "Cilantro, do you like it?"
Annie, with a little hesitation: "...yeah..."

She also asked for strawberry waffles. She's so cute- Annie likes them best with the fruit on top of the whipped cream. She's not really smelling her knee, she just didn't want me to take this picture. I had some leftover blackberries from some jam I made the night before so I threw those in with the strawberries and I was really happy with the results.


2 comments:

Julia said...

Seriously Kath, you're so domestic. I'm quite impressed.

Melody said...

I've been planning to try these since you posted this and we finally did it tonight. Paul said they are the best enchiladas he's ever had and I loved them too. They will now be our standard recipe. thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails