Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Family is Here!

I am so happy that my family could come out here and spend time with us for Thanksgiving!! We all are. I think this picture adequately captures how Franny felt about their impending arrival. She had the biggest grin when they walked in the house that night.







This is my Dad. He once won a Harrison Ford look-alike contest. That's not true, and I'm going to get in trouble for saying that, but when I was in high school two of my best friends did used to tell me how handsome my Dad was. At the time it embarrassed me a little, but now I think it's kind of fun. His granddaughters just love him. Look at the outfits he picked out and sent them.

Some of us made the drive to Nauvoo today to go to the temple and see some of the sites. It was a really nice day. We had a wonderful time. I'm so happy they're here. I think Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It was funny- it seems like every time we're together for a long car ride, no matter what time of day it is, everyone zonks out and takes a nap while my Mom or Dad drives us home. Well tonight it was me driving my slumbering family home. Which is weird, because as I've said before, I'm a borderline narcoleptic, so it doesn't seem very prudent to let me drive in the dark unsupervised. It was great to be together and laugh and talk.

We asked this groundskeeper to take our picture after our session and he sweetly offered to walk with us to a spot he knew of where he could get the whole temple in the picture. But my heart sank when he crouched down to take a picture from every woman's least favorite angle. Yuck. Oh well, I'm posting it anyway. Just know I am not happy with that picture. Oh yeah, and I'm glad he was sure to include the horse's rear in the photo.



What did I say about needing supervision? As I was driving in silence, I thought of my little hitchhiking ladybug who apparently was finished with Nauvoo and wanted to head west. Here he is on my steering wheel. I started to wonder what would happen to him once he got off in our town. Then I thought, "what is the life expectancy of a ladybug?" Which made me wonder, "Does anyone even know or care?" And then, "How could the lifespan of a ladybug be tracked?" Which then prompted, "What kind of freak wonders about the life expectancy of ladybugs?" Then I answered my own question by taking a picture inside my car- the same kind of freak who takes a picture of a ladybug while she's driving. Luckily the car ride was over soon thereafter and I forgot all about the hitchhiking ladybug. He'll spend a warm and cozy night in the Sienna and I'll drop him off at Franny's school tomorrow morning.

Yikes- it's really late. I'm going to go to bed before I think too much about all the ladybug nonsense I just wrote about.

13 comments:

sara said...

Man, you and your sister and so beautiful! It's been a while since I've seen you all. I love the dresses your dad picked out for your girls. Tell him he did a good job. And...your dad DOES look just like Harrison Ford in that first picture.

The Wilkins' said...

Katherine, I'm so happy that you get to enjoy your family's visit! They are so lucky they get to have YOU cook them dinner! Have fun!

D-dawg said...

Those are good ladybug questions. I wish I had some answers. Cute pictures of your family. How nice that they all came to visit. Have a great holiday!

Anne said...

Those pictures are so sweet, you have such a wonderful family. I want to come have Thanksgiving at your house :)

Jill said...

How fun I am glad your family arrived safely! Your girls are adorable!

Jill said...

Oh and from what I gather through googling their life expectancy can vary. I googled lady bug life expectancy and your blog was on the front page of the search lol!

Erin said...

It looks like such a fun trip to Nauvoo. I love Nauvoo. And I love family visits! I hope you have a fun time with the fam!

Sheen said...

I loved all your ladybug nonsense. You sound like you have the kinds of thoughts I do... hmmm. Maybe you're crazy, too...

Rachel said...

Your dad totally looks like Harrison Ford! What a stud. Isn't Nauvoo awesome? Your pictures are great, I especially love the horse's rear picture. ;)

Johanna said...

That is so fun to have your family out there for Thanksgiving. And, I agree with the other bloggers about your family being lucky to have you as their hostess for Thanksgiving. You are the #1 chef. :) Fun pictures of Nauvoo too.

Maggie said...

We had such a great time with you guys. Thank you for making us feel so welcome. We love you. Francie and Sophie are BOMB!
Katherine's Thanksgiving gets 5 STARS *****.
LOVE YOU

DAD
JULIA
MAGDOG
ADOG

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

What FUN!!! You look incredibly beautiful as always, and your family is just as photogenic. Sophie's hair and Franny's eyes get me every time! CUTE CUTE kids! Glad you had a happy holiday!

Jordan said...

I'm impressed by the outfits and the look-alikeness of your Dad and Harry! I'm not sure what to think about the ladybug! (: Happy belated TG!

Related Posts with Thumbnails