Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Sophie, use your words."

There was a time in the not-too distant past that I thought that Franny might never learn to speak. At 2 1/2, she could sign for "more" and say "uh-oh" and "Alyssa" and a few others I could count on my hand. Things have changed a lot since then and I am happy to report that Franny has a lot more to say than "uh-oh" and "Alyssa" these days. (However, I do wish she was saying Alyssa more, and seeing Alyssa more. We miss her!) I am so grateful for Franny's giant strides in speech. I remember a time when I was so desperate to hear what she had to say. Well, lately her words have been cracking us up.

This was taken at the bowling alley the night before Thanksgiving. Franny's a pretty good bowler. I love this picture!

Here are some of Franny's words that have been flying around my house lately:

When Sophie cries or whines, "Sophie, use your words!"
"Hi Miss Mommy" and my favorite: "Hi Miss Daddy!"
If we're in a hurry and I don't bother putting socks on with her shoes, she says, "bye-bye socks."
"Give her the hug"- then she comes up to me and hugs me.
She's learning about actions at school and she'll start running and then she'll say, "What am I doing? Running!" Today I saw her jumping and I said, "What are you doing?" And she stopped and bent over, touched the ground with one hand and reached towards the ceiling with the other hand and said, "Stretching!"
Narration for all of our actions: "Daddy sleeping." "Sophie crying." "Mommy go potty."

It's really fun to see how much her speech and language have improved. I'm so grateful for the wonderful people who work with her and help her to achieve so much.

Sophie has had some things to say lately, too. I made this in photoshop a few weeks ago but never put it on my blog because I got busy with Thanksgiving. It's a strange feeling for Bobby and I to feel so calm about Sophie's development. Of course we are grateful and relieved with how well she is doing, but it also makes us feel a little sad for Miss Franny and how hard she's had to work to learn the things that seem to come so easy to Sophie. Most of the time, we try not to compare our children, but it's not always easy.

I am really excited about Sophie's new words, though. Today Bobby was leaving and she waved at him and said, "bye!" in her sweet and tiny little voice. It was so cute!

14 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

It sounds liek Franny is really making big strides with her speech... that is exciting! You have been such a great mother, she wouldn't be able to thrive as much as she has with out you and all the wonderful programs you have her in. And Sophie... she is adorable! Funny the words they pick up.

Jill said...

Your children are so amazing. I always felt so honored on Alyssa's behave that one of her words she had was Alyssa's name. We miss you, Alyssa misses Franny so much!!!

Congrats to Franny on the great strides, keep up the work sweet girl. The same goes to Sophie, way to go!!!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Wow that posted three times, sorry!

Aubrey said...

Wow, your children are progressing with great strides. I am so impressed, really! But you are such a great mom that it shouldn't be a question. They are so adorable! Keep up the good work. Your blog is so cute. Quin just smiled the whole time I told him about the girls progress. He definitely likes "Miss Daddy"! So cute!!!

Ruth Harper Gough said...

Oh, your daughters are adorable and SMART!!! What an incredibly strong spirited family God has blessed you with. You should be SO proud!

Chrissy said...

I will miss not working with Franny! Just ask me to babysit once in a while :).

Levon said...

Your girls are really so precious, you are blessed. Isn't it so fun to hear the innocent things they say?!

Erin said...

Your girls are adorable. Franny looks like a real pro at that bowling alley. I loved how you quoted some of the funny things she says. What a cutie!

hayley said...

What cute girls! I love the picture you did in photoshop:)

Pattie said...

I am so glad franny is making great progress and that you are enjoying sophie you have such beautiful girls...

Holly Moore said...

Oh your kids are so cute! I've been reading your blog and the food looks SOO good! This was the first year that I was not in charge of Thanksgiving and I was so sad. I will live vicariously through you. (= Yumm!

Heidi said...

Hi Katherine. I am Heidi Shirley, Grant Holmes' sister. and i was blog hopping and found yours. i hope you dont mind. you are truely a domestic goddess! you inspire me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails