Saturday, January 12, 2008

Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream


I got a new toy! Bobby got me a counter-top ice cream maker for Christmas. I love it! It's so simple- no rock salt, no ice, just a double insulated freezer bowl! (Cuisinart should be paying me for this.) As a thank you, I made one of Bobby's favorite flavors, Ben & Jerry's chocolate oreo. I was amazed that it tasted even better to me the next day. It scooped out beautifully.

My favorite things about my new ice cream maker:
  • No extra trips to the grocery store for ice and salt! Keep the bowl in the freezer and you can make ice cream whenever you want.
  • It only takes 20-30 minutes.
  • You can watch the whole ice cream making process and add your toppings without having to stop the machine.



The only problem is that now all I want to do is make ice cream. Which is even worse when you consider that I'm also getting really into cheesecake-making. Yikes. Why couldn't I be passionate about flax seed or lentils or something.

Here's the recipe:

Ben's chocolate ice cream

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 c milk
2 large eggs
1 c sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream

1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in pan over low heat (or use a double-boiler.) Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and whisk to blend.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
4. Transfer the mixture to ice cream maker and freeze.
5. Add 1 cup crushed oreos five minutes before ice cream is done. (This is also good if you add 1 tsp peppermint extract. Add that with the cream in step 2.)

3 comments:

Sara said...

I need to pull my ice cream maker back out and play with it - in the summer, try making plum sorbet, it's so good! Oh, and try the lentil burgers in the Everday Food cookbook - they may make you start thinking differently about lentils!

Raquel said...

I have seen these little things at the stores, and wondered if they were worth it. I am such an ice cream addict. I buy eat a couple of bowls, then buy another to try. This really bothers Shawn. He thinks we need to finish one, before buying another. My response...Why.

Kayla said...

Do you have the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book?! When Brandon got me my ice cream maker I immediately went to the store and bought this book! I have made several of the recipes and haven't been let down once!

Related Posts with Thumbnails