I got a new toy! Bobby got me a counter-top ice cream maker for Christmas. I love it! It's so simple- no rock salt, no ice, just a double insulated freezer bowl! (Cuisinart should be paying me for this.) As a thank you, I made one of Bobby's favorite flavors, Ben & Jerry's chocolate oreo. I was amazed that it tasted even better to me the next day. It scooped out beautifully.
My favorite things about my new ice cream maker:
- No extra trips to the grocery store for ice and salt! Keep the bowl in the freezer and you can make ice cream whenever you want.
- It only takes 20-30 minutes.
- You can watch the whole ice cream making process and add your toppings without having to stop the machine.
The only problem is that now all I want to do is make ice cream. Which is even worse when you consider that I'm also getting really into cheesecake-making. Yikes. Why couldn't I be passionate about flax seed or lentils or something.
Here's the recipe:
Ben's chocolate ice cream
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 c milk
2 large eggs
1 c sugar
1 T vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Melt the unsweetened chocolate in pan over low heat (or use a double-boiler.) Gradually whisk in the milk and heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Add the cream, vanilla, and salt and whisk to blend.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours, depending on your refrigerator.
4. Transfer the mixture to ice cream maker and freeze.
5. Add 1 cup crushed oreos five minutes before ice cream is done. (This is also good if you add 1 tsp peppermint extract. Add that with the cream in step 2.)