Saturday, January 12, 2008

George's

When we go back to California, I always try to make a trip into Huntington Beach to see old friends and visit the place where I grew up. I'm embarrassed to say that although we visited my second home in high school, the King residence, and spent an hour or so with two very good friends, Lori and Liz, the only pictures I took were of my favorite hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant, George's. They have insanely good Mexican food. My family loved that place! Here's a picture of their super nachos, which by the way left a huge void in my life when our family moved away from Huntington Beach. (By the way, the McDonald's sign behind it is the McDonald's of my childhood. I hate McDonald's food, but I really love this particular location because it's the one my Mom took us to. It always really bothered me that McDonald's never had root beer.)




What's that, you ask? Were they as good as I remember? I ate the entire plate. Then I proceeded to eat one shredded beef taco. Noone can make a shredded beef taco like George. It was fabulous. Apparently I thought we were having an speed-eating contest or I was afraid Sophie was going to try and steal my food, because I finished mine in record time. I was kind of bored so I started snapping pictures of my family enjoying one of my favorite HB spots. That was kind of fun for me.



Since I stupid didn't take any pictures with Lori and Liz, here's one that was taken TWO years ago at the Kings. It was fun to see Lori and Haws' new apartment and meet Liz's husband Derek.



I got together with Lori, Kelly, and Lindsey in September when I was visiting and I never posted the pictures, even though I had Lori take a picture of this kid for me. I told her I wanted it for my blog and then I never posted it. I love how these girls take time away from their busy schedules and families to spend time with me when I'm in town. They're all such cool girls and VERY good friends. Thanks in large part to all of these girls, Sara, Laura, Mary, and Sara T., my high school years were so much fun!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can deal with a fauxhawk, but I cringe when I see kids with real mohawks.

Kathryn, I LOVE that photo of you taken by your friend Jen. You look gorgeous! I have looked at it full size like 20 times. I wish I had a picture of myself just as great.

Also, I got sidetracked and never posted a comment the other day. I was reading about your Christmas and what you wrote about our Dad and it just made me cry. He is amazing and I know why my family loves your family so much.

liz said...

It was so nice to see you and your family, I can't believe it was two years ago that I last saw you! I too cherish our high school days, and am so thankful that I still maintain friendships with the same group. Makes me feel like I am 16 again!

Kelly said...

I have been reading your blog since we had dinner in September, It was great to see you. You are such a strong and amazing person, I am glad to call you my friend. High school was so much fun, I am glad that we can all share those memories! And on a side note, George's is one of Stan's favorite places as well!

jayne said...

I'm about to hop in the car and head over to Georges. Those nachos look way too good to not be consumed by me. And the cheesecake WAS delicious. And the ice cream sounds good too. Can you gain weight just by imagining eating this stuff at 2 am??

Jillyboo said...

I am embarrassed to admit I have never eaten at George's. I will now commit to doing so soon!

The last Unicorn said...

YES! You finally posted that pic I took of the boy with the Mohawk! Good times, good times. I know we have had many and even though you no longer live down the street. I am comforted by the fact I still get to see you when you come visit. There are still many good times ahead! I love you tons!

Paul Aanderud said...

If your kid can look that fly in a mohawk, then yes. NO question. :)
I love Huntington Beach. I had the best chocolate cake I have ever had there. I wish I remembered the name of the place, but I could get there if I ever went back. It's ingrained in my taste bud memory.

sara said...

I love that picture of the boy with the mohawk. I'm sad I didn't get to visit with you when you were in CA for Christmas...I was home for such a short time. The picture taken two years ago with you, Liz and Lori looks like it could have been taken this year...all three of you look the same! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails