Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Grandma's not here

This is my Mom on Christmas morning not last year but the year before. She wouldn't like me posting this picture, but she'd hate me for posting the one I had from last year and so would Maggie. I think she looks really cute in this picture.

It was hard without her. Just like I thought it would be. It's not something I really want to write about apparently, since I started this post nearly a week ago and just can't seem to finish. But I also didn't want to just ignore it here on my blog.

Franny noticed she wasn't around often and made sure we were aware of it, too. Every now and then I'd hear her say, "Grandma's not here." I'm so glad she misses her grandma. My mom loves her so much. Once I even heard her pick up Sophie's toy cell phone and say, "Hi Grandma. I miss you."

I am so glad we went to California to be with the family though. It was definitely the best decision. It felt good to be together, and we laughed and enjoyed each other and played guitar hero and saw Juno and ate strawberry waffles and did the things we all used to do together. My Dad is amazing. I don't know how he managed to find the strength to decorate the house with all 9 boxes of Christmas decorations and buy everyone thoughtful and generous gifts and just be there for us all. One of my sisters was having a hard time and I was trying to comfort her when my Dad walked in and saw her crying. I was so touched by the look on his face. He walked right up and gave her a big hug. I was so glad I got to witness this small and simple thing. We are so blessed to have him as our father. I think my mom must be really pleased with how well he's handling their family. Man, my kids have it bad for their grandpa. They just love him.

I miss her.

Here's some pictures of Christmas this year.



9 comments:

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

What great pictures!! Your visit looks like LOTS of fun!! I am sure it was so hard, but as you said, so strengthening. Kudos to your Dad - what a neat, neat man. Many years ago my grandmother passed away on Christmas day, and I am not sure how my Mom kept it together to give us kids a "normal" Christmas. Parents are amazing. I wish I could say I would be as strong. I am glad you had a good holiday. Your girls are as darling as ever!

Jill said...

I am so sorry you miss your mom, and Franny misses her Grandma :( Your dad is an awesome guy, and you are a great daughter.

The last Unicorn said...

Your families strength amazes me! Thank you for sharing that post... your have such a beautiful family. It was so fun to see you guys. Thanks for taking the time to come and visit. Love you!

Chrissy said...

I admire your whole family. I am sorry for your loss. I love the pictures.

megan said...

Your mom is such a great woman and such an inspiration to many. Your post is very touching. I am so glad that you got to spend the holidays with your family.

Jodie B. said...

I thought about you a lot during Christmas this year. I am glad that you shared this with all of us. Your strength is inspiring. What a blessing to have such a supportive and loving family.

Natalie said...

So, I'm just sitting here reading your post......crying. Seriously, sobbing like a baby. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you were able to spend the holidays with your family.

Ruth Harper Gough said...

I thought about you a lot on Christmas day-- I remember my first Christmas without my dad. Not fun. But it will get better. It will get easier. Just keep thinking that. I admire your stregnth and courage in being so open. You are a hero. Blenn Frannie's heart. I love that little girl!

hayley said...

I cried again on your blog. That is really sweet and tender what your dad did for you guys. And how sweet that Franny still remembers her grandma. I am glad you had a good time with your family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails