Friday, January 4, 2008

Most Embarassing Moment- Honorable Mentions

These are all stories about times I've fallen due to snow or just plain tripping. Or trippin'. (Why you always trippin'?)

None of them are really embarrassing enough to make it into the "hall of fame" of my embarassing moments, but are still worth mentioning, hence the "honorable mentions" category.

Fall #1- High School. I'm late to class, walking very quickly, through the open courtyard of Marina school. There are very few people out walking with me- five or 6, and I am in the middle of the courtyard, in full view of everyone outside, when I trip over... well, nothing at all, and fall flat on my face. I recognize how funny it is even then and stand up to may eye contact with someone and laugh it off, but I see no kind and familiar faces at all, and am forced to keep walking in my trippin' shame.

Fall #2- Ricks College. I never really spent a lot of time in snow before I started school in Rexburg, ID in the fall of 1996. My Mom was really freaked out about the cold weather and she took me shopping for a coat and a pair of snowboots. We found a pair of Sorels but I couldn't find a decent coat. We figured that she could send me a coat later since I wouldn't need it right away. Just as she promised, she sent a large box soon after I arrived. When I was opening the box however, I thought, "how weird that mom sent me a sleeping bag?" This coat was huge. She sent me a size 14 even though I was a size 6 at the time. I guess she thought since it was bigger it would provide more coverage and more warmth? Not only was it way too big, but it was ankle-length! So anyway, it snowed for the first time in November or something. Very little snow, and we knew it was coming thanks to the weather man. I was nervous about walking in it, but my friends told me not to worry, that it was only difficult to walk when the paths got icy and slick and that wouldn't be a problem with such a small amount of snow. So the next morning I'm walking to class, in one of the busiest areas of campus, ready for anything in my steel-toed Doc Martens (don't tell my Mom but I have still never used the Sorels) and "large and in charge" in my sleeping bag coat. Walking to class, feeling like a pro at this whole snow-walking thing, when one of my adequately-treaded boots slips out from underneath me inexplicably and I fall hard on my rear. What the ??!? It was totally hilarious.

Fall #3- Target in Orem. One night after I moved to Utah and moved in with my friends Janelle and Manna, we went to Target to pick up a few things. I was standing in the front of the store, looking at make-up right across from where the cash registers are. Janelle and Manna were close by, looking at another area of the store, but still in my line of sight. As I was perusing this Target's selection of Maybelline or L'Oreal or whatever, I slipped on some spilled shampoo or hand soap and fell hard. The contents of my purse spilled all over the floor in the soapy, slippery mess and I was frantically trying to clean it up before anyone noticed (which was useless- I was in full view of all the cashiers and all of the customers who were checking out. I looked up to see Janelle and Manna totally laughing at me, and a few frightened onlookers watching me with concern. At first I couldn't understand why they were laughing at me and not rushing to my aid until I realized how funny it must be to see someone slip and fall for apparently no reason at all!

6 comments:

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Those are all funny, but I was cracking up at #2. I can just picture it perfectly. Btw, I never used my Sorels either.

Rachel said...

The target one made me laugh out loud. That is some funny crap!

Jill said...

Falls are the best, they are super funny. I just hate when I am the one that falls!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Posse said...

Slipping on nothing... it's like what it must look like when you walk through a spiderweb and suddenly start freaking out, flailing your arms and brushing it off your face...

Related Posts with Thumbnails