Friday, January 18, 2008

maybe not authentic Italian, but still fabulous

This is another one of my mother's recipes and I am so glad she found it. I don't know where she found it, so I can't give anyone proper credit. As far as casseroles go, this is a winner. It freezes beautifully. There aren't many dishes out there that freeze as beautifully as this one right here. She would make this a lot for us when we came to visit because she could make it before we got there, keep it in the freezer, and then she could hang out with us instead of having to spend all her time in the kitchen making dinner.

I'd honestly rather have this than homemade lasagna. It's crazy, I know, but it's true. I think it's the cheese layers. They are so delicious!

I am so bad at photography. Does it make you laugh? It makes me laugh. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I like to play around in photoshop. If this just looks like a mess of a food on a plate, that's because it is. I was half-way through devouring this before I thought to take a picture. I had to put the pan back in the fridge so I would only have one giant serving and not two giant servings. I LOVE this stuff.

Italian Dinner
(I leave the mushrooms out and use only 1/4 - 1/3 of an onion so my husband will still love me.)

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 32-oz jar spaghetti sauce
3 (6 oz) cans sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp oregano
salt and pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
12 oz medium egg noodles, cooked
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 pt sour cream
1 c Parmesan
1 16 oz pkg shredded mozzarella

In a very large skillet, brown beef, onion, bell pepper, clery, and garlic and drain well (season the meat at this point with salt and pepper). Add spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, and seasonings. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes. Beat cream cheese until creamy and add sour cream and cheese. Butter 11 x 14 inch or 2 smaller baking dish(es). (I use one 8x12 and one 8x8.) Layer half the noodles, half the beef mixture and half the cheeses. Repeat the layers. Bake covered at 325 for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes. (I like to reserve some of the Parmesan and sprinkle it on top. Also, I like to bake it a little longer than the recipe suggests do give the cheese a chance to brown just a little.)

Yummy!

9 comments:

Erin said...

Mmmmm, mmmm! Looks so good - you are great at photography! :)
And it looks like Bobby had a fun and delicious birthday!
I've been checking your blog but haven't had a chance to leave comments lately. Just so you know that I am still a fan of your blog! :)

Kayla said...

I can't resist anymore! I have been reading your blog for about 1 2 or 3 months now and I am hooked; I have been trying to decide if I should actually write and tell you and I finally decided that I should, so here I am. You remind me so much of myself; I can't believe it! And, I must say, you have now gotten me taking pictures of my food. I made this cake last weekend that I have been eyeing in a cookbook for about a year now and it turned out as delicious as the picture made it look so I took a picture of my creation too.

Katherine said...

I'm so glad you did Kayla! I'd love to see your blog. I love when I've held on to a recipe for a long time and it turns out great. That's the best!

Kayla said...

Thank you! I was a little afraid of freaking you out! I actually don't have a blog, just a google email account. I told my husband that after reading your blog I want to start my own but I'm kind of nervous about it. I don't really know where to begin but you make it seem like so much fun! Do I need to know anything about HTML?

Kayla said...

Ok, Katherine, I have now created and posted my first blog ever!

Rachel said...

Ok Katherine...you are just putting us all to shame with these yummy meals. Seriously. I need to know if you ever make mac and cheese for dinner. :)

Katherine said...

Oh my gosh, I love Kraft White CHeddar Mac and cheese. It's good. I don't make it anymore though because Franny can't have it. But I could eat a whole box of it by myself in one sitting when I was in college.

Natalie said...

WE LOVED IT! Thanks

rocknbrocks said...

Hi Katherine:

You dont remember me. But I babysat you once when we lived in HB. My parents knew your parents well along with others in the HB 2nd ward. Kristen Curtis told me about all your yummy recipes and I can't wait to try them. It was fun to see your pictures too!
Jaime Bingham Brock

Related Posts with Thumbnails