Sunday, April 15, 2007

Scones




I have recently become totally obsessed with homemade scones. I have a friend who made up this fabulous recipe for scones with lemon and dried cherries. I've been making lots of variations: lemon and blueberry, lemon and apricot, orange and cranberry... but the cherry and lemon is still my favorite. I also tried the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Maple scones- they were also pretty good.

2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
1/2 c dried cherries
zest of 2 lemons
2/3 c buttermilk

glaze for scones:
juice of half a lemon
powdered sugar

Mix dry ingredients in food processor. Add diced butter and pulse until butter is the size of peas. Add lemon zest and cherries and pulse 2 or 3 more times. Add buttermilk all at once and process until dough comes together. Pat dough on a floured surface into a circle that is about 7 inches round and about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into circles or half-moons. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and brush with lemon glaze.

2 comments:

Jill said...

These are soooooo good! LOVE THEM!

Kayla said...

I love scones but have never been able to find a recipe comparable to this store downtown where I live. But your recipes beats that shop; it is the most amazing recipe I've tasted! I had made these to take to "treat day" at work but after I tasted one of them I decided to keep them for myself!! Selfish I know but I could bring myself to part with them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails